Despite the fact that Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl are largely authentic remakes that stay true to the original games, Studio ILCA has added a whole bunch of new elements to modernise the fourth generation of Pokemon. One such change is the location of Gible – the first form of the Garchomp line.
I never actually caught a Gible in the original Diamond and Pearl, as I never actually knew where to find it. As badly as I wanted one, I never got round to finding it. Thankfully, the remade Sinnoh features a new way to obtain Gible and Garchomp. Gabite is still located in the same place however.
Garchomp is still one of the most beloved Pokémon of the Sinnoh region, and for good reason: its remarkably strong moves are a force to be reckoned with. Even the Sinnoh Champion recognises its power as they defend their title using the Dragon-type.
Where to Find Gible in Pokémon BDSP
Players who want to catch the Pokemon will have to wait until they’ve defeated the 6th Gym in Canalave City. Once you’ve beat the Gym, follow the steps below and you can catch your own Gible.
- Get HM Strength on Route 209. It’s on the fifth floor of the Lost Tower from the Old Lady NPC. You have to defeat Gym Leader Byron to use it.
- Travel to Eterna City and take the South Exit to Route 206. Ride down to the end of the Cycling Road.
- Make a right immediately after exiting Cycling Road’s tunnel, and use HM Cut to remove the trees blocking your way. Follow the grass underneath the Cycling Road bridge, stick to the right side.
- There will be cave opening at the end of the path, ignore this. Immediately walk left instead, until you are underneath the bridge. There is a secret cave opening onscreen that cant be seen unless you press forward.
- You will enter Wayward Cave. Use Flash to light the cave up. There’s a TM for it at Oreburgh Gate.
- Use Strength to push the rock blocking you from going forward. Go through the opening on the left.
- Get your bike out and use second gear to ride up the two slopes. Then turn right and jump over the three ramps.
- You should end up in a square area of dirt. By running around here Gible will spawn. There is 15% chance of the little dragon-shark appearing.
Once you’ve caught Gible, you have to train until it reaches level 24 in order for it to evolve into Gabite.
After you’ve evolved your Gible into Gabite, you’ll need to raise Gabite to level 48, which will cause it to evolve into Garchomp.
Garchomp’s Grand Underground Location
In Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl, there is a second route to obtain Garchomp, which is through the Grand Underground. Grand Underground has little rooms known as Pokemon Hideaways. There are around 200 Pokemon that spawn there, however some of them are exclusive to the Grand Underground.
In the Riverbank Cave Hideaway, both Gible and Gabite can be found spawning. Traveling to Jubilife City and then activating the Explorer Kit will lead you to this particular chamber.
Make sure you’ve caught the Pokemon beforehand however to guarantee that it will spawn in this location. It can be hard to track down at first for sure, but it is definitely worth the effort. Garchomp is a powerhouse, and should be a welcome addition to any team.
Read here for more guides on Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl!
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl is available on Nintendo Switch now. Purchase it from our store!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the Go2Games newsletter for updates on the latest gaming news and deals, and follow our socials below!